If you have a child in a Rainbow School, please take a few minutes to read the guide and keep it in a handy place. It contains a wealth of information that will be of value to you and your child throughout the school year, including information about programs and policies, a list of key contacts, and a calendar of school holidays, provincial assessments, professional activity days, secondary school examination days and open houses.
That’s why we encourage parents/guardians to take an active interest in their child’s education. We recognize that parents, as the first teachers in the home, are important partners in the learning process. When parents are actively engaged, students benefit and schools flourish.
There are many ways in which parents/guardians can work with the school to maximize their child’s learning experience.
• Establish daily routines.
• Ensure that your child attends school regularly and arrives on time.
• Work with the school to see that homework and assignments are completed and submitted on time.
• Limit the amount of time your child devotes to a part-time job, sports team, club and/or committee.
• Monitor the amount of time your child spends watching television and/or playing computer games.
• Ensure that your child eats well and sleeps well.
• Create a home environment that encourages learning.
• Model the value of education.
• Encourage your child to realize personal and career goals.
• Set realistic expectations about your child’s academic achievements.
• Support your child’s chosen pathway to success.
• Help your child select his or her courses in secondary school.
• Support school and Board policies.
• Work with the school on any conflicts that may arise.
• Participate in two-way communication with the school.
• Regularly discuss school matters with your child.
• Talk to teachers about your child’s progress.
• Praise your child for good work and good behaviour.
Along with the back to school guide, parents/guardians will have received an invitation to “Make a Difference: Join a School Council.” If you are interested in becoming involved in your School Council, please complete and return the form to your child’s school.
In Rainbow Schools, School Councils serve in an advisory capacity to the school principal and the Board to promote continued excellence in education – always with the overall interest of students first and foremost.
Participating on a School Council is a rewarding experience for those who value the opportunity to improve student success and enhance school communities. For more information, contact your child’s principal or visit rainbowschools.ca and click on parents.
In closing, I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a “Happy New Year”. May this year be the best ever for you and your child.