Become a Volunteer
Volunteers are an essential part of Rainbow school communities. Across the Board, volunteers participate in a wide range of activities that support student success and enhance the quality of Rainbow Schools.
Read this page and learn more about our exciting and rewarding volunteer opportunities. If you’re a student, parent or community member ready to get involved, please contact the Rainbow school nearest you or call the Board Office at 705.674.3171, ext. 7216.
We look forward to your involvement!
The Volunteer Process
If you’re interested in volunteering in Rainbow Schools, but aren’t sure how to go about it, here are three simple steps to get you started:
Step 1 – Find an opportunity that is right for you
One of the best starting points is self-exploration and discovery. Before getting involved, try to find a role that suits your personality, interests, expertise and schedule.
Step 2 – Search for information and explore your options
After you’ve outlined your volunteer expectations, make an appointment with your local Rainbow School Principal to learn more about volunteering, including the opportunities, benefits and screening process.
Step 3 – Join your Rainbow school community
Once you’re ready to get involved, it’s time for our volunteer screening process. To ensure the safety of our students, staff and schools, volunteers may be required to provide their local Rainbow school with a criminal record check and/or personal references.
Volunteer Opportunities in Rainbow Schools
Volunteer opportunities in Rainbow Schools are almost limitless. Whether it’s a one-time event, like supervising a class trip, or an ongoing commitment, like coaching a school basketball team, we have a role for just about everyone.
As a school volunteer, you can:
- Serve as a lunchroom or playground monitor
- Become a classroom helper
- Mentor or tutor students
- Supervise or judge school fairs
- Coach or assist with school sports
- Organize or participate in school fundraising activities
- Plan or chaperone field trips, track meets, graduation ceremonies, dances and other school events
- Help the school and Board recruit volunteers
- Start a school club or an athletic team
- Sew costumes or build and paint sets for theatrical productions
- Present your trade, career or profession at annual school Career Fairs
- Help school administrators prepare grant proposals and other administrative tasks
- Attend a Parent Involvement Committee (PIC) meeting
- Join a School Council
- Help PIC and School Councils organize school events and activities
To learn more about how to get involved, please review our Parent Involvement pages or contact your local Rainbow school Principal.
Benefits of Becoming a Volunteer
There are many great reasons to volunteer in Rainbow Schools. Whether you’re a parent, educator, student or a member of the broader community, your involvement will benefit you immensely. By becoming a school volunteer, you will:
- Be an important partner in education
- Be a valued member of the school and school board community
- Model the importance of school involvement
- Make a difference in your Rainbow school community
- Build self-esteem and self-confidence
- Gain work experience and develop new skills
- Stay active
- Meet new people, develop professional contacts and make new friends
- Have fun!
Become a Volunteer
Join an exciting and dynamic team committed to enhancing the learning environment for students and improving the life of Rainbow Schools. Speak to the Principal of your local Rainbow school or contact:
Rainbow District School Board Office
69 Young Street
Sudbury, ON P3E 3G5
Toll Free: 1.888.421.2661