Roots of Empathy
A Lesson in Character Education
The Roots of Empathy character development program will continue in Rainbow elementary schools. Each participating class adopts a baby who visits the classroom, along with his/her parent and a trained Roots of Empathy instructor, once a month for a full school year. Early Childhood Educators are delivering the Roots of Empathy program in Kindergarten classrooms.
As the children observe the parent-infant interaction and follow the baby’s development, they learn how infants grow and develop. They also learn empathetic responses to the baby’s temperament, facial cues and feelings. In the process, they learn to be compassionate and caring citizens of the world.
Roots of Empathy program goals:
- to foster the development of empathy
- to develop emotional literacy
- to reduce levels of bullying, aggression and violence
- to promote childrens pro-social behaviours
- to increase knowledge of human development, learning and infant safety
- to prepare students for responsible citizenship and responsive parenting