New Sudbury Planning Area
Rainbow District School Board has approved accommodation reviews for six planning areas in the 2016-2017 school year – Central Sudbury, Espanola, New Sudbury, Valley East, Valley North and West Sudbury.
Here is the proposed delivery of education in the New Sudbury Planning Area, in accordance with the Capital and Accommodation Plan Initial Staff Report presented on August 30, 2016:
Subject to Ministry of Education Capital Funding…
For September 1, 2017:
• Transfer Grade 7 & 8 students from Churchill Public School to Lasalle Secondary School
For September 1, 2019:
• Renovate Churchill Public School to create a JK-6 school
• Consolidate Adamsdale Public School and Cyril Varney Public School into Churchill Public School
• Build a new French Immersion JK-6 school on the Lasalle Secondary School site
• Consolidate JK-6 students from Carl A. Nesbitt Public School, Ernie Checkeris Public School and Westmount Public School into the new school
• Transfer Grade 7 & 8 students from Carl A. Nesbitt Public School to Lasalle Secondary School
Notice of Public Meeting
The public meeting for the New Sudbury Planning Area will be held on Monday, October 24, 2016 from 6 pm to 8:30 pm at Lasalle Secondary School, 1545 Kennedy Street, Sudbury. All parents/guardians in the planning area are invited to attend. The input will inform the Capital and Accommodation Plan Final Staff Report.
School Information Profiles (SIP) for the New Sudbury Planning Area
A School Information Profile (SIP) has been created for the schools under review. The profile contains important data, including current and projected enrolment, programs offered, utilization rates, maps and site plans, indoor and outdoor facilities, transportation information, accessibility, extra-curricular activities, past and projected capital improvements, operational costs and community use.
Note: Major Facility Needs – Details – Supplements Section 2.2 of the School Information Profile.
Staff will present the Capital and Accommodation Plan Final Staff Report to Trustees at a Special Board Meeting on Thursday, November 24, 2016.
A Special Board Meeting will be held on Monday, December 12, 2016 for members of the public to make presentations to the Board of Trustees in accordance with the Board’s governance by-laws, which can be accessed here.
A Special Board Meeting will be held on Tuesday, February 7, 2017 to decide accommodation review outcomes.